If you thought Thursday was going to be a quiet basketball night because of the BCS Championship Game, you'd be incorrect. Unfortunately, it was quiet on the TV front.
- In the lone Big Ten game of the night, Michigan came back to win at Penn State, 64-55. Northwestern won a non-conference struggle (and I do mean "struggle") against Texas-Pan American, 53-44.
- The A-10 also had a national TV game, as Xavier held off La Salle, 68-62, at Tom Gola Arena.
- Vermont and Stony Brook stayed atop of the America East thanks to a pair of victories. The Catamounts topped Maine, 64-56, while the Seawolves got 70-59 win over Hartford. Boston University topped New Hampshire, 60-56, in Durham. Meanwhile, Binghamton got an upset 62-57 win at Albany.
- It was a busy night in the Atlantic Sun. Belmont topped USC Upstate, 68-58, and ETSU topped Kennesaw State, 63-46. Campbell, who had the auto bid in my Monday bracket, fell at Mercer, 82-73.
- Out in Big Sky country, Northern Colorado knocked Weber State from the ranks of the conference unbeatens, 85-74, while Northern Arizona got their first league win, 68-56 over Idaho State.
- Coastal Carolina stayed unbeaten in the Big South thanks to a narrow 58-57 win over UNC Asheville; Liberty defeated Presbyterian, 77-67; Winthrop blasted VMI, 96-63; and Gardner-Webb knocked off Charleston Southern, 64-61.
- Cal State Fullerton sent Long Beach State to their second straight loss to start the Big West season, 85-75. UC Irvine topped Cal State Northridge, 65-62, at the Matadome.
- Northeastern blasted George Mason, 71-46, in the lone CAA game of the night.
- The Chicago schools were in Eastern Ohio for Horizon League play, and things didn't go well. Loyola fell 62-57 at Cleveland State, while UIC dropped a 76-67 decision at Youngstown State.
Northeast Conference action resumed Thursday night. It wasn't a great night for the last two league champs. Mount St. Mary's fell 64-63 at Quinnipiac, while Long Island knocked off Robert Morris, 74-64. In other games, New York topped Pennsylvania, 67-59, in the battle of the St. Francis schools; Sacred Heart ran past Wagner, 75-59; Monmouth topped Central Connecticut State, 55-42; and Fairleigh Dickinson defeated Bryant, 66-50.
- Jacksonville State got a nice OVC win by topping Eastern Kentucky, 68-65, dropping the Colonels two games behind leaders Murray State. The Racers stayed in charge of the league race thanks to a 80-59 win at Tennessee State. Morehead State remains a game behind after a 77-64 win over Tennessee Tech, while Austin Peay is two games back after a 90-72 home win over Tennessee-Martin.
- In SoCon action, Furman won 53-48 at Elon; Wofford also got a road victory, 79-62, at UNC Greensboro
- Two of the top teams in the Summit League met in Tulsa, with Oakland holding off Oral Roberts, 67-64. Elsewhere, Centenary defeated IPFW, 75-62; South Dakota State won at UMKC, 74-69; and Southern Utah defeated defending champion North Dakota State, 85-79.
- Western Kentucky took control of the Sun Belt race with a thrilling 67-64 win in front of about 12 people at South Alabama. In other games, Louisiana-Lafayette topped North Texas, 74-72; Florida Atlantic handled Troy, 83-69; Florida International defeated Louisiana-Monroe, 62-56; Arkansas State slipped past Middle Tennessee, 69-67; and Denver won 75-66 over New Orleans.
If you don't see your team's score, click any of the score links. You'll find a rundown of all of the day's scores on the right side of the page.
Friday will feature the usual Atlantic Sun, Horizon League, and Metro Atlantic action on TV, with rare a Friday Pac-10 doubleheader and a surprising battle for the Big West lead. All times are p.m. Eastern.
- Valparaiso at Detroit (ESPNU, 7): The Titans are an early surprise in the Horizon, as they sit at 3-1 in the conference.
- North Florida at Florida Gulf Coast (CSS/Full Court, 7): The Eagles look to top the Ospreys to move over .500 in the Atlantic Sun.
- Butler at Wright State (Horizon League Network, 7): The Bulldogs look to stay unbeaten in the Horizon, against the team who most think will be their stiffest challenger.
Washington State at Arizona (select FSN outlets/FSN Pacific, 8:30): Both teams are looking for their second straight Pac-10 win.
- Loyola (MD) at Fairfield (ESPNU, 9): The Stags need a win to stay a game behind Siena in the MAAC race.
- No. 24 Washington at Arizona State (select FSN outlets/FSN Pacific, 10:30): The Huskies will need to be a lot better defensively to rebound from their loss to Oregon last Saturday.
- UC Davis at UC Santa Barbara (ESPNU, 11): Who would've guessed that the Aggies are the only unbeaten team in the Big West right now? The Gauchos are currently 1-1.
For info about games that will only be telecast regionally like St. Mary's at San Francisco and San Diego at Santa Clara, visit Matt Sarz' College Sports on TV site.