It was another difficult Saturday for ranked teams. While not quite as many lost as a week ago, there were plenty of close calls to go along with the upsets that did happen.
Virginia is the only team unbeaten in the ACC right now. The Cavaliers had no trouble with No. 23
, winning 75-57. The league's other ranked teams had their share of challenges. No. 20 Georgia Tech found more Saturday magic to knock off No. 12 North Carolina, 73-71. No. 24 Clemson blew a big lead, but held on to beat NC State,
73-70, while N
o. 25 Florida State held off
There are even more scores after the jump.
In other Saturday action.
- Maine defeated Stony Brook, 67-61, to move to 2-1 in the America East.
- Campbell still leads the A-Sun, as the Camels crushed Stetson, 81-55. ETSU remains a game back after a big 73-51 win over Florida Gulf Coast. Lipscomb is also just a game off the pace. The Bison routed North Florida, 79-55. Jacksonville knocked Belmont to .500 in the conference by topping the Bruins, 76-66
- Xavier moved to 4-0 in the A-10 with a 78-74 win over Dayton, No. 19 Temple defeated UMass, 76-64, to also stay perfect in the league. Rhode Island ran by Fordham, 85-67. LIke the Rams, Richmond is a game back of the lead pack in the loss column. The Spiders held off La Salle, 67-63. Elsewhere, St. Bonaventure defeated St. Joseph's, 68-65.
- Weber State remains atop the Big Sky after beating Idaho State, 95-93 in triple OT. Northern Colorado remains a game back after picking up a 74-71 win at Eastern Washington.
- Radford fell back to second in the Big South after losing to Charleston Southern, 70-55. Coastal Carolina moves back into sole possession of the lead as they defeated High Point, 73-58, earlier in the day. The Panthers are now two games back, just like Liberty, who fell to UNC Asheville, 74-70.
- Pacific is the only one loss team in the Big West, as they topped UC Irvine at home, 64-51. Cal Poly picked up a huge Big West win, prevailing 90-79 at Long Beach State, to join the group that's a game back in the loss column, Cal State Fullerton lost their chance to join Pacific, as they fell at home to Northridge, 78-72, to join the 2-loss muddle. UC Santa Barbara is also in the trailing pack, as they defeated UC Riverside, 63-56.
- William & Mary defeated Hofstra, 73-66, to stay in the tie at the top of the CAA. Northeastern routed UNC Wilmington, 79-56, to join them; George Mason remains in the logjam as well after winning 82-71 at James Madison. Old Dominion is there too, as they slammed Drexel, 71-48. VCU defeated Georgia State, 82-69
- Marshall is 4-0 in C-USA after they defeated Tulane, 89-79. Tulsa joins them after blasting UCF, 90-70. Memphis is 3-0 thanks to an 80-68 win at Rice. UAB had to make up a huge deficit to win at SMU, 63-62, to move to 3-0 themselves. Elsewhere, Houston won at East Carolina, 74-55; and UTEP defeated Southern Miss, 56-49.
- Butler keeps on winning in the Horizon League. The Bulldogs blew out Youngstown State, 91-61. Green Bay is now in sole possession of second, as they held off Detroit, 74-72. Wright State took a step back, as they fell at Milwaukee, 67-61.
- Good news Big Red fans, Cornell will represent the Ivy in Monday's bracket. They topped Columbia, 74-53, to start their league campaign.
- Another game, another MAAC win for Siena. This time, the Saints won 81-73 at their nearest challenger, Fairfield. Iona defeated Niagara, 64-47; Canisius topped Manhattan, 63-61
- In the MAC, Western Michigan defeated Central Michigan, 70-61; Miami (OH) kept Ohio winless in the league, thanks to a 79-67 win in Oxford; and Northern Illinois defeated Eastern Michigan, 77-69
- Morgan State is alone atop the MEAC after topping South Carolina State, 72-67, in Orangeburg. That's because Bethune-Cookman fell 77-60 to Delaware State in Daytona Beach
- Northern Iowa continues to cruise in the Missouri Valley. The Panthers won for the 15th straight time, topping Indiana State, 62-40. Wichita State fought back at Creighton, but the clock ran out on them in the Jays' last possession, giving Creighton a 57-56 win and depriving the Shockers of a chance to knock UNI out of sole possession of first on Wednesday. Bradley topped fading Missouri State, 74-56, while Southern Illinois won at Evansville, 65-57.
- Don't count Mt. St. Mary's out of the NEC race. The Mountaineers crushed Long Island, 86-67, in Emmitsburg. Quinnipiac defeated Bryant, 80-66, so the Bobcats join the Blackbirds in a tie at 5-1 for the top spot. Robert Morris joins them, as they knocked off Monmouth, 78-67. St. Francis (NY) is a game back thanks to a 60-53 win over Wagner. Fairleigh Dickinson missed their opportunity, however, as they fell to St. Francis (PA), 54-52. Central Connecticut State had a surprisingly easy time with Sacred Heart, winning 88-65, keeping the Pioneers from staying a game back.
- Murray State blasted Tennessee Tech, 88-66, to stay unbeaten atop the OVC. Morehead State is a game behind after they knocked off Eastern Illinois, 73-51; Eastern Kentucky is two games back after they defeated Southeast Missouri, 79-63. Austin Peay snuck past Tennessee State, 79-77
- Lafayette has sole possession of the Patriot League lead after they defeated Navy, 90-77. Holy Cross won their first conference game, 82-69 over Bucknell,
- College of Charleston got some measure of revenge for their loss to Chattanooga in last year's SoCon final. The Cougars smashed the Mocs, 90-66, at McKenzie Arena. With Chattanooga's loss, Western Carolina is now all alone atop the North Division. The Catamounts slipped past Elon, 83-81. Elsewhere, The Citadel snuck past Samford, 51-50; Appalachian State defeated UNC Greensboro, 72-64; and Wofford is two games back of C of C in the South Division after knocking off Davidson, 68-62.
- Sam Houston State moved to 2-0 in the Southland by defeating East leader Southeastern Louisiana, 84-79. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is 3-0, however, after beating Northwestern State, 98-83. UT San Antonio dropped their first game, however, 72-66 at UT Arlington. Nicholls State topped Stephen F. Austin, 71-63; Lamar topped McNeese State in a 79-78 thriller
- Jackson State is the new SWAC leader, as they defeated Prairie View A&M at home, 53-52. Texas Southern is a game behind after they won at Grambling, 74-69. So is Arkansas Pine Bluff, who handled Southern, 64-51. Alabama State defeated Alabama A&M, 83-69.
Oakland is 7-0 in the Summit after they routed Southern Utah, 99-53. IUPUI remains a game back after they knocked off Centenary, 74-58. Oral Roberts is three behind in the loss column after beating Western Illinois, 74-62.
Western Kentucky defeated Florida International, 81-64, but Arkansas State will have the Sun Belt's auto bid in the Monday projection. John Brady's Red Wolves have one more league win than the Hilltoppers, thanks to their 83-70win at North Texas. UL-Monroe sent Denver to another road loss, 64-53. Florida Atlantic won at Middle Tennessee, 61-60. Arkansas-Little Rock won their first conference game of the season, 76-69, over UL-Lafayette. South Alabama also sneaked by Troy, 69-67.
No. 17 Gonzaga is still unbeaten in the WCC, thanks to an easy 68-50 win at San Diego. Pepperdine is also 3-0 in the conference after a 83-68 home win over San Francisco. St. Mary's is a game back after they held off Portland, 77-72.
New Mexico State sent Fresno State to their second straight WAC loss, 86-77. The Aggies remain a game behind leaders Louisiana Tech. Utah State hammered still winless
If you don't see your team's result, click on any of the score links. You'll find a rundown of the night's scores on the right side of the page.
Sunday's slate kicks off with a big Top 25 clash in the Big East. All times are p.m. Eastern unless noted
No. 11 Georgetown at No. 4 Villanova, 12 (Big East/Full Court): The Hoyas would love to knock the Wildcats from the ranks of the BIg East unbeatens.
Toledo at Ball State, 1 (select FSN outlets/Full Court): These MAC West cellar dwellers are both looking for their first conference victory. One will have to wait yet another game.
Boston University at Vermont, 2 (ESPNU): The Catamounts are currently the only America East team with a perfect league mark. The Terriers sit a game back in the loss column.
Colgate at American, 2 (CBS College): The defending Patriot League champion Eagles are still in search of their first conference win.
DePaul at St. John's, 2 (Big East/Full Court): The two are a combined 1-7 in the Big East.
St. Louis at Charlotte, 4 (CBS College): Rick Majerus' Billikens look to stay unbeaten in the A-10.
Providence at Marquette, 4 (Big East/Full Court): The Friars sit at 3-2 in the Big East, but they'll be significantly challenged by the Golden Eagles, even if they've only recorded one league win.
Illinois State at Drake, 8 (ESPNU): The Redbirds need to win in Des Moines to stay within reasonable distance of UNI.
For information about games that will only be telecast regionally, like Northern Arizona at Portland State and San Jose State at Hawai'i, visit Matt Sarz' College Sports on TV.