It was a relatively quiet Friday night of college basketball, but that doesn't mean there weren't games of note.
- In the only Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series game of the night, Oregon State earned the Pac 10 its first win. The Beavers knocked off Colorado, 74-69.
- No. 13 Florida won at Jacksonville, in a road game based on unis only, 85-67.
- Troy won at Auburn, 81-77.
- UAB knocked off ETSU, 74-52.
- No. 19 Texas A&M had little trouble with Akron, 74-62.
- Wofford gave No. 9 Michigan State a fight before falling, 72-60.
- Xavier pulled away from Kent State in the second half, prevailing 77-61.
- Navy held off Penn, 73-67. The Quakers have yet to win a game this season.
- Binghamton beat a D1 opponent, winning a home game against Bucknell, 64-60.
- Remember how Cal State Fullerton beat UCLA. Well, the Titans lost to Central Arkansas Friday, by 20, in an event at Stephen F. Austin.
Conference play started in the MAAC and Big Sky Friday.
- Niagara routed Manhattan, 88-64.
- St. Peter's squeaked by Iona, 56-54.
- Northern Arizona fell at Montana, 71-54, thanks to 22 from the Grizzlies' Anthony Johnson.
- Northern Colorado lost their first of the year. Montana State stopped the Bears, 87-63.
- In the Big South, UNC Asheville stunned Gardner-Webb at the buzzer to win their first game of the season, 58-56.
If you don't see your team's score, click on any of the score links. You'll then find a rundown of all of Friday's scores at the right hand side of the page. After the jump, I'll take a look at some of Saturday's big matchups.
Here are nine Saturday games of note, starting with a huge matchup of blue bloods. All times are p.m. Eastern.
- No. 10 North Carolina at No. 5 Kentucky (CBS, 12:30): With all due respect to the wonderful CBS College Sports network, this will be John Wall and Co's first exposure to a big national TV audience. But you can expect John Henson and the young Heels to be primed for this one too.
- NC State at Marquette (Big East, 3): The Wolfpack are 5-1 on the season, but lost their first at home to Northwestern on Tuesday. The Golden Eagles have had a week to stew about their collapse against another ACC squad, FSU, in the Old Spice final.
- Wake Forest at No. 17 Gonzaga (ESPN2, 5:30): The Demon Deacons have lost two straight, to surprising William and Mary and not so surprising Purdue, while the Bulldogs are looking for their fifth straight win over a BCS conference opponent.
- Charlotte at No. 20 Louisville (ESPNU, 7): A win over the Cardinals, who fell at UNLV last Saturday, would be a major boost to the 49ers in their quest to earn an at-large.
- New Mexico State at New Mexico (the mtn., 9): Don't look now, but the Lobos are unbeaten after their big home win against Cal on Wednesday. They already defeated the Aggies by 10 in Las Cruces back on November 17.
- Nevada at Pacific (Full Court, 10) The Tigers look to improve their record against WAC opponents to 2-1. They previously lost at San Jose State and beat Fresno State. The Wolf Pack are in search of their first road win of the campaign.
Three of my nine spotlighted games are Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series matchups.
- Oregon at Missouri (ESPNU, 5): The Tigers are looking to stop a two game skid (to Richmond in South Padre and at Vanderbilt). They'll have to fancy their chances against a Duck team who's already fallen at home to Montana and away to Portland.
- Washington State at Kansas State (ESPNU, 9): The Cougars look to rebound from their loss to Gonzaga on Wednesday night. The Wildcats barely beat D2 Fort Hays State last time out. Tune into this one if you like great guard play, as the Cougs' Klay Thompson and the Wildcats' Denis Clemente are among the best.
- Iowa State at California (ESPNU, 11): The Cyclones, fresh off losses to Northwestern and UNI, travel to the West Coast to take on a Golden Bear squad who's already lost three contests.
Other games on national TV outlets
- Eastern Michigan at No. 15 Ohio State (ESPNU, 12)
- Cleveland State at Detroit (FS Detroit/FCS Atlantic, 1)
- St. John's at No. 6 Duke (ESPN2, 3:30)
- Buffalo at No. 4 Purdue (Big Ten, 5)
- Boise State at Illinois (Big Ten, 7:30)
- Southern Utah at Oral Roberts (FCS Central/Full Court, 8)
For a full list of televised games, including contests that are only going to be televised locally (including VCU at William and Mary, Davidson at College of Charleston, and USC at Georgia Tech), visit Matt Sarz' College Sports on TV site.