Several tournaments wrapped up on Sunday, with the Paradise Jam reaching its conclusion Monday, when a couple of others get started. Let's take a look at what transpired in this weekend's tournament action.
- In the 7th place game, Penn State edged Davidson, 59-57, to send the Wildcats home winless.
- La Salle finished fifth, edging Tulane, 61-59.
- USF took third by beating UNCW, 74-66.
- Miami on the title, as they easily beat South Carolina, 85-70. You have to wonder how different the game could have been had Dominique Archie not injured his knee after a first half dunk. That injury could seriously damage the Gamecocks' chances this year.
Puerto Rico Tip-Off
- George Mason finally earned a win to finish 7th, beating Indiana 69-66.
- Georgia Tech beat Boston University handily in the 5th place game, 85-67.
- Kansas State shocked Dayton to claim third place, 85-73.
- Villanova won the title easily over Ole Miss, pulling away in the second to record a 79-67 win.
- On Saturday, Northern Iowa defeated East Carolina, 74-68, and Boston College drubbed South Dakota State, 75-58, in consolation round action. That means the Pirates and Jackrabbits will play for 7th on Monday (1 p.m. ET, no TV) and the Panthers and Eagles will meet to settle 4th and 6th (3:30 p.m. ET, no TV).
- In Sunday's semifinals, DePaul gave Tennessee a fight before falling, 57-53. In the second game, Purdue had no trouble with St. Joseph's, thanks to a lot of Hawk unforced errors, running out 85-60 winners. The Blue Demons will meet the Hawks in the 3rd/5th place game (FSN, 6 p.m. ET) and the Vols and Boilermakers will meet for the title, as expected (FSN, 8:30 p.m. ET).
In a couple of other results of note from Sunday, Tom Izzo won his 340th game at Michigan State, as the Spartans beat Valparaiso by 30. In another Legends Classic contest, Vermont beat Rutgers, 77-71, in Piscataway.
CBE Classic Semifinals
- Rebuilding Pittsburgh takes on Wichita State in semifinal number one (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m. ET).
- In game two, Texas will probably be able to name their score against an Iowa team who has yet to win in this tournament (ESPN2, 10 p.m.).
Maui Invitational Quarterfinals
One of the biggest and best early-season events starts Monday afternoon.
- Colorado opens up with a difficult task, a game with Gonzaga (ESPN2, 3 p.m. ET)
- Lance Stephenson makes his national TV debut for Cincinnati, as they face Vanderbilt (ESPN2, 5:30 p.m. ET).
- Maryland faces hosts Chaminade for the right to play either the Bearcats or Commodores in Tuesday's semis (ESPNU, 9:30 p.m. ET).
- Arizona faces Wisconsin (ESPN2, 11:59 p.m. ET), with the winner facing either the Buffaloes or Bulldogs in the semifinals.
In other televised games tomorrow,
- Appalachian State visits Louisville in another Hall of Fame Showcase tilt (Big East/Full Court, 7 p.m. ET).
- North Carolina tries to rebound with a home game against Gardner-Webb (FS South, 7:30 p.m. ET).
- Western Michigan at Loyola-Chicago (Lakeshore/Full Court, 8 p.m. ET)
- Pepperdine at UCLA (FS West/FCS Pacific, 11 p.m. ET)
Be sure to visit Matt Sarz's College Sports on TV site for more games that may only be televised locally.