It appears I missed a lot while I was flying West, as it was one of those days that showed why games are played on the court and not in the minds of pundits.
Coaches vs. Cancer Classic
- Syracuse entered the Coaches vs. Cancer Classic as the only unranked team. That won't be the case much longer, as the Orange dominated No. 6 North Carolina, 87-71, to claim the crown. Wes Johnson had 25 points to lead the 'Cuse, who were down 2 at the half, until a 25-3 run to start the second placed them firmly in control.
- In the consolation game, No. 15 Ohio State held on to beat No. 13 California, 76-70.
Puerto Rico Tip-Off
- In consolation play, No. 21 Georgia Tech defeated George Mason, 70-62. The Patriots will play Indiana in the 7th place game (ESPNU, Sun. 10:30 a.m.), as the Hoosiers fell to Boston University, 71-67. The Yellow Jackets meet the Terriers for 5th (ESPNU, Sun. 1:00 p.m.)
- In the semis, No. 18 Dayton gave it a good fight, but No. 5 Villanova prevailed 71-65. In game two, Chris Warren scored 27 to lead Ole Miss past Kansas State. The Nova Wildcats meet the Rebels for the crown Sunday night (ESPN2, 8 p.m.). In the third-place game, the K-State Cats face the Flyers (ESPNU, 5:30 p.m.)
- In the consolation bracket, Tulane opened the day with a 3-point upset of Penn State. La Salle cruised past Davidson, 84-70. Surprisingly, the two NIT teams, the Nittany Lions and Wildcats will play for 7th on Sunday (10 a.m., no TV). The Explorers and Green Wave play for 5th at 12:30 p.m. Sunday (12:30 p.m., no TV).
- In the semifinals, Malcolm Grant scored 18 to Miami (FL) lead past UNC Wilmington, 67-60. South Carolina squeaked past USF, 69-66. The Bulls and Seahawks will play for third on Sunday (3:30 p.m., no TV), while the Hurricanes will face the Gamecocks for the title (ESPN2, 6 p.m.).
Paradise Jam Quarterfinals
Remember how I said these semis would be cut and dried? Eh, not so much.
- Jeremiah Kelly had 18 to lead DePaul to a 60-52 upset win over Northern Iowa.
- No. 10 Tennessee dominated for the second straight game, crushing East Carolina, 105-66.
- St. Joseph's upset Boston College, 84-80, thanks to 18 from Garrett Williamson.
- South Dakota State was no match for No. 7 Purdue.
- That means the Panthers will meet the Pirates (3:30 p.m., no TV) in Saturday's consolation bracket action, with the Eagles and Jackrabbits (6 p.m., no TV) also playing.
- In Sunday's semifinals, the Blue Demons will hope to stay competitive with the high-flying Vols (6 p.m., FCS Pacific) and the Hawks will look to upset the Boilermakers (8:30 p.m., FCS Pacific).
In Friday's action outside of knockout tournaments,
- No. 2 Michigan State handled Toledo, 75-62, in the Legends Classic.
- Florida was down to Troy at the half, but pulled away, winning 80-58, in another Legends contest.
- NC State crushed MAC favorite Akron, 66-45, in the Glenn Wilkes Classic in Daytona Beach.
- Auburn wasn't so lucky in Daytona, as UCF upset them, 84-74.
- Two Big East squads struggled in event home games. Two Malik Boothe free throws clinched a 79-76 home win for St. John's over Brown in the Philly Hoop Group Classic. In the Legends Classic, Rutgers sneaked by Drexel, 58-56.
- Seton Hall didn't have such problems, as Jeremy Hazell scored 33 to help prevent Cornell from pulling off another big win.
- Alabama beat Providence in Tuscaloosa, 84-75.
- Iowa finally won a home game, crushing Bowling Green, 68-46.
- UCLA earned their first win of the new campaign, beating Cal State Bakersfield by 11.
- Quincy Pondexter scored 30 and grabbed 15 boards to lead No. 14 Washington past San Jose State, 80-70.
- Before heading to Maui, Vanderbilt sneaked by St. Mary's in Moraga.
- Jimmer Fredette had 20 to lead BYU past Hawai'i on Oahu, 83-65.
Here's a run down of some of the televised games for this weekend that are being played outside of knockout tourneys. All times are p.m. ET.
- Rider at No. 4 Kentucky (SEC on FSN/Full Court, 1): After getting smoked by Virginia Thursday, can the Broncs get back to their upset ways?
- UMKC at North Dakota (FCS Pacific, 2)
- East Tennessee State at No. 20 Louisville (WHAS/SNY, 4)
- Florida State at Mercer (FS South/CSN Washington/SUN Sports, 4:30)
- No. 17 Oklahoma at VCU (MASN, 7:30): Jeff Capel returns to Richmond
- Presbyterian at No. 24 Illinois (Big Ten, 8)
- Georgia at UAB (CSS, 8)
- Grambling at Marquette (TWC32/SNY/Altitude, 8:30)
- Valparaiso at No. 2 Michigan State (Big Ten, 12): If it's an early season Sunday, the Crusaders must be visiting a team who played or the title last season.
- Morgan State at No. 20 Louisville (WHAS/MASN/SNY/Full Court, 1)
- Texas-Pan American at Missouri (FS MIdwest/Full Court, 2)
Be sure to visit Matt Sarz' College Sports on TV site for games that may only be telecast locally.