Monday night's big result was 10th-ranked Kansas State's 71-62 home win over top-ranked Texas. The Wildcats got 20 points and 12 boards from Jamar Samuels to win a physical game that featured 49 fouls. The Longhorns inability to convert from the charity stripe hurt them in this one, as they only went 9-22 from the line.
In other games...
- No. 5 Syracuse finished a perfect three-game Big East road trip with an 84-71 victory at Notre Dame.
- ACC leader Virginia stepped out of conference and needed all 40 minutes to beat UNC Wilmington, 69-67, in a game rescheduled because of the East Coast December blizzard. Virginia Tech had a far easier time with their non-ACC tilt, blowing out North Carolina Central, 72-30. Also, St. Joseph's defeated Towson in an A-10/CAA clash, 64-57; Dartmouth topped St. Francis (NY), 65-64; and Cal State Bakersfield upended Big Sky contender Montana State, 71-61.
- Stony Brook remains two games behind Vermont in the loss column in the America East race. The Seawolves defeated UMBC, 81-69, dropping the Retrievers to 0-5 in the conference. Maine, however, is just a game back after beating New Hampshire, 56-42.
- Jacksonville knocked off city rival North Florida, 62-55, in the A-Sun.
- Siena keeps on rolling in the MAAC. The Saints won at Manhattan, 83-68. Fairfield remains in second after sneaking past Canisius, 76-74. Iona is now three games back in the loss column after beating Rider, 72-59. Niagara defeated Marist, 72-56.
- In the MEAC, Morgan State continues to be in control, topping Winston-Salem State, 84-65. Bethune-Cookman rebounded from their first league loss by beating Maryland-Eastern Shore, 63-51. Howard joins the Wildcats at 4-1 after beating Norfolk State, 82-77.Delaware State also remains a game back in the loss column as they knocked off Florida A&M, 64-57. South Carolina State got back to .500 in the conference by dropping Coppin State, 87-65. The Eagles are still winless in the league. In a clash between two teams in the bottom half of the league clash, Hampton defeated North Carolina A&T, 65-55.
- There's now a four-way tie at the top of the SWAC. Jackson State lost sole possession of first, as they lost to Texas Southern, 51-44. That moved TSU into the lead group. Prairie View also moved to 4-1, as they rebounded from their Saturday loss to JSU by beating Grambling, 64-59. Arkansas Pine Bluff is the fourth team in the lead pack, as they blew out Alcorn State, 93-59. In other action, Mississippi Valley State moved to 3-2 in the league by beating Southern, 57-45.
- Middle Tennessee topped Western Kentucky, 47-46, in Murfreesboro, preventing the Hilltoppers from joining Arkansas State at 5-1 in the Sun Belt.
After the jump, I'll take a look at what's coming up on Tuesday.
Tuesday features key tilts for ACC and Big Ten contenders
- No. 8 Tennessee at Alabama, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN): The Volunteers hit the road for the first time in SEC play. The Crimson Tide will be looking to rebound from a Saturday loss at Arkansas.
- No. 17 Clemson at No. 19 Georgia Tech, 7 p.m. ET (ESPN2): The Tigers are lucky they aren't playing the Yellow Jackets on a Saturday afternoon.
- George Mason at Hofstra, 7 p.m. ET (ESPNU): The Patriots look to stay among the lead pack in the CAA.
- Northwestern at No. 21 Ohio State, 7 p.m. ET (Big Ten Network): The Wildcats look to avoid a letdown after their big win over Purdue on Saturday, while the Buckeyes look to stay on a roll at home.
- Oklahoma at Texas A&M, 8 p.m. ET (Big 12 Network/Full Court): A win in College Station would do wonders for the Sooners' chances the rest of the way, while the Aggies hope their won't be too much of a hangover from their OT battle in Austin Saturday night.
- No. 13 Purdue at Illinois, 9 p.m. ET (ESPN): The Boilermakers really can't afford to lose four straight in the conference.
- No. 20 Northern Iowa at Wichita State, 9 p.m. ET (ESPNU): Welcome to the AP poll, Panthers. Your next task is to win at your biggest challenger for the MVC crown.
- Boston College at Miami, 9 p.m. ET (FS Florida/FS South/NESN/CSN Washington): The Hurricanes are back at home and looking to forget a miserable swing through Virginia.
- San Diego State at Utah, 10 p.m. ET (the mtn.): Aztecs beware. The Utes defeated UNLV at the Thomas & Mack Saturday.
For information about games that will only be telecast regionally, like Longwood at Maryland and Indiana State at Missouri State, visit Matt Sarz' College Sports on TV site.